Fife & Lothian's Cup Third Round
Saturday 1st April 2017
Penicuik Athletic 1
Sommerville 48mins
Blackburn United 2
McQuillan 38mins & 61mins

Match highlights click here
( © Jim McQuillan )
After despatching Premier League opposition Armadale Thistle earlier in the competition United travelled east to face an even tougher challenge in the shape of second placed Super League side and Fife & Lothian's Cup holders Penicuik Athletic and it was the hosts whowere on the attack from the outset, coming closest in only six minutes when Sommerville's side foot effort from Forbes corner was blocked by James Mildren.  Sixty seconds later Blackburn then had their own half chance but when Danny Campbell controlled Ross Donnelly's ball he couldn't quite pick out Andy McQuillan in the middle and the ball weas cleard for a throw-in that came to nothing. After quarter of an hour Penicuik came closer yet when McCallum guided Gay's free-kick from the right against the left hand post before, moments later, Gavin King had to be at his best to dive full length and get a hand on another Gay free-kick inadvertently deflected goalwards by Ewan Herriot. Next, McCallum outjumped Mildren on the back post but again King was the equal of what was being thrown at him, stretching to tip the ball over the top.  Despite the Super League sides pressure it was United who who opened the scoring before the break, stringing together a seven man move the began on the left with Lee Meekison and ended when Campbell rolled a pass back  to Herriot on the right who lifted the ball into space behind Noble for McQUILLAN to burst onto, stride clear and steer a shot between Easton and his left hand post.

Just as Blackburn  finished the first half with a bang so Penicuik began the second period with one, Gay curling a teasing cross in from the right that SOMMERVILLE threw himself at to head past the exposed King. However, United didn't let the loss of a quick equaliser derail them and shortly after the hour mark re-established their lead in spectacular style, McQUILLAN galloping onto a King clearance which Donnelly may have got a nick on to help into his path and looking up to see Easton off his line to rifle a thunderous twenty five yarder over his head and into the net. From a Craig Young corner not too long after Campbell saw a dipping effort from the edge of the area go too high before, from a McQuillan lay-off, Fraser Cormack also tried his luck from distance but he too saw his shot fly over the top. At the other end, Montgomery hit the side net from good position and Cuikie were then almost level again only for McCallum's clever effort from the edge of the area to clatter off the face of the bar. Five minutes from time a great John Drummond block on MacDonald as the midfielder was steadying himself to shoot prevented what seemed a certain equaliser but it was Blackburn who arguably came closest to adding to the score when, two minutes from the end, McQuillan drove in off the right to crunch a shot goalwards that Easton had to push over the top as United moved into the Quarter Finals where a tie at Musselburgh Athletic awaits.

Blackburn United line-up: King, Herriot, Meekison, Mildren, Drummond, Williamson, Donnelly (Fleming 81), Young, McQuillan, Campbell, Cormack, Subs (not used): Wilson, G.McQuillan

Penicuik Athletic line-up: Easton, Forbes, Noble, Hume, D.Young, Barr, Gay, MacDonald, McCallum, Sommerville, Montgomery Subs: Jones, S.Scott, K.Scott, Lough, Connolly

Referee: Mr. Craig Ferguson

Match photographs click here
( © )