Scottish Junior Cup Second Round
Saturday 22nd October 2016
Forfar Albion 0

Blackburn United 11
McQuillan 28mins, 37mins & 45mins, Gowans 31mins, 70mins, 82mins & 87mins, Young 65mins,
Calvey 75mins, Mildren 89mins, Drummond 90+1mins

The game kicked off in damp conditions which continued throughout the match, and it was the home side who were first to show on five minutes when a Sean Colvin shot was turned round the post by Darren Mitchell for a corner which came to nothing. Craig Young then tested Jason King in the Albion goal with 18 minutes on the clock with a 20 yard free kick which King pushed round the post. The opener came on 28 minutes when Gary Calvey kept the ball in play on the left touchline before sending the ball out to Aaron Gowans on the opposite side, Gowans fired in a low cross to the back post where is was slammed home by Andy McQUILLAN. Three minutes later it was two when Aaron Gowans chased down a long ball, King came out of his area to deal with it but didn’t, leaving GOWANS to tap the ball into an empty net. The third came on 37 minutes when Gowans was set free on the right, he laid the ball back to Young who in turn moved it to McQUILLAN inside the box who held off the attention of a couple of defenders to slam the ball into the net. Andy McQuillan completed his first half hattrick when Gary Calvey flicked on a Mildren clearance to McQUILLAN who turned inside his marker to fire an angled drive past King to make it four. McQuillan was replaced straight afterwards by Ewan Herriot.

The second half continued in much the same vein with Blackburn dominating possession. Herriot tested King in the Albion goal on 53 minutes but it took until 20 minutes after the restart for the lead to be increased when Craig YOUNG fired a free-kick from 20 yards over the wall and behind King. Two minutes later Forfar were reduced to 10 men when Matthew Muir stupidly kicked out at Gary Calvey after a challenge and was shown a red card by referee Milne. With 20 minutes left, Craig Young robbed Caldwell of the ball and he bore down on goal but his shot was blocked by King, Calvey picked up possession on the left and played the ball back into the box for GOWANS to stab home from close range. Gary CALVEYthen had a close range header blocked by King but a minute later the same player redirected a Young shot past King to make it seven. The eighth came on 82 minutes when Calvey was played in on the left side of the area where he chipped the ball into the path of GOWANS who fired home for his hattrick. The roof was caving in for the home side and it was nine with three minutes left when Calvey was again set free and rounded King before squaring to GOWANS for his fourth of the afternoon. Double figures arrived in the 89th minute when a Young corner was nodded down by John Drummond for James MILDREN to hook the ball high into the net, and it was from another Young corner in the last action of the game that saw the eleventh and final goal with DRUMMOND again getting to it first, this time to head the ball into the back of the net before referee Ryan Milne blew the final whistle.

Blackburn United Line-Up: Mitchell, Woodhouse (Meekison 69), Lawrie, Mildren, Drummond, Williamson, Gowans, Spence (Wilson 49), McQuillan (Herriot 44), Calvey, Young Subs: Meekison, Herriot, Fleming, Wilson, KIng

Forfar Albion line-up: King, Gellatly, Mitchell, Muir, Thomson, Caldwell, Crighton, Dorward, Murphy, Colvin, Brady Subs: Al-Nadaf, Anderson, Malone, Martin, McCabe

Referee: Mr. Ryan Milne

Match photographs click here
( © Fiona McGinty )
Match highlights click here
( © Jim McQuillan )